Thursday, July 15, 2010

Simple Black Beans

This is a great easy recipe to learn how to cook beans. Place 3/4 cup of dried black beans in a pot or bowl. Pick through to remove any small stones. Add water to cover the beans by about two inches. Add a splash of vinegar (~1 Tablespoon) or squeeze of lemon to help break down the phytic acid in the beans. Phytic acid can interfere with the absorption of valuable nutrients.  Soak beans overnite for about 8-10 hours. After the overnite soak, rinse and drain the beans. Then add 3 cups of water and simmer beans for about 1.5-2  hours. I usually keep the pot covered for the first 1-1.5 hours then uncovered to boil off the remaining water. Once the beans are soft, add 1/2 jar (~6 oz) of your favorite peach or mango salsa. I use the peach salsa from Trader Joe's. You gourmets can also make your own if you prefer. 

Voila!  These beans are ready to use as a dip, burritos, tamales, salad, as a side dish or hearty meal with brown rice and greens.

Black beans in particular are packed with antioxidants, fiber, protein, magnesium, folate, and iron.

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Dijamco,

    What an easy and nutritious recipe! I am so excited to try it out! I really enjoy your blog!

    Best,

    Jen Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine WestermannJune 24, 2011 at 3:11 PM

    I just made the black beans using my crock pot. I cooked the beans for a few hours on low. I think I used about 2 1/2-3 cups of water with one cup of beans. Super yummy with the peach/mango salsa! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you tried it out. Thanks for sharing! I think this may be a good thing to make for my potluck coming up.

    ReplyDelete